Monday, February 28, 2005

The Key To Turning Around A Troubled Company -- Is People!!

I my research into The Success of Turning Around A Business or A Nation. I always follow:

Lao Tze said
"When you have the Peoples Heart, then you have the World!!"

People is the Power of Everything.

Computers & Communications, Internet .......are just the tools

In the Contacts of a Corporation, People encompass Employees, Clients/ Customers; Suppliers.

Without the 3 Harmony Namely

Timing

People

Strategic Position


Corporation or Nation would not be achieving success!!!





Hong Kong Native Strives For Career Success in the U.S.
By Kevin Voigt From The Wall Street Journal Online

Being passed over for a management job was, in retrospect, one of the best things that ever happened to John Chen. At the time, the Hong Kong native was a young electrical engineer at a California plant of Unisys Corp. The reason for the rejection? Poor speaking skills. Mr. Chen was told that he wasn't "very presentable." Later, Mr. Chen realized "it was not meant to be a degrading comment -- it literally meant that we don't know how to present the story (to non-engineers)." Rather than give up, Mr. Chen took presentation and speaking classes. Not only was he later promoted, but he eventually became manager of the plant where he was first passed over. Mr. Chen went on to work at Pyramid Technology Corp. for six years, becoming CEO in 1995. In 1997 he moved to software maker Sybase Inc., and as chairman, president and CEO he's led the once-ailing tech firm back into the black. Last year he was named to the board of directors of the Walt Disney Company. A popular speaker, Mr. Chen was recently named vice chairman of the Committee of 100, a Chinese-American group that advocates improving Sino-American relations.

John Chen - lives in San Francisco with his wife, Sherry, and has three daughters -- Jackie, 20, Stephanie, 15, Victoria, 11 -- and 7-year-old son, Justin.

What do you feel is the future of American-Chinese relations?

I'm a strong believer in the relationship between (these) superpowers -- one the most powerful and richest nation, the other the most populous and quickly developing. The historical differences lend themselves to a lot of ups and downs and conflict. I believe (we) should focus more on the people...Americans' understanding of China, not just a mystical East that treats people poorly. In the case of the East, they have to view people and understand the American ideologies.

What's the key to turning around a troubled company?

You have to build the confidence. Most people jump in and talk about strategy, talk about products -- those are important aspects. (But) the most important people whose confidence you need to rebuild is the employees. The second is the customers, then the shareholders. It has to be in that order: If you don't have (confident) employees, the customers will not be well treated, which means they will abandon you, and that will make the shareholders unhappy.

What do you wish you'd known 20 years ago?

Not to be overly cocky. Just because you had good grades and a good education, you sometimes feel you know everything. There is so much to learn from others...no one has a monopoly on all the knowledge and know-how. And the other thing, there is never really a right or wrong way of doing business, other than to have integrity. You read a lot of books about how to set up a business, how to organize, how to set marketing strategy, how to do this or that, but I really don't believe there is a cookbook for it. Twenty years ago I wish I would have listened more.

What mistake have you learned the most from?

On the business side I could think of a number of times where I didn't listen to my gut, especially in dealing with people. I'm a big proponent, almost to a fault, of loyalty. Some of these people have been working for me at three or four companies in the past 20 years.

I'm a terrible person in dealing with the Peter Principle (it states that employees are promoted to a level where they are incompetent, and then they stay there) ... I understand the principle behind it...(but) it's hard for me to pull the trigger.

What is missing in your life?

I think I'm pretty stereotypical, with a background in engineering and business...I'm a byproduct of a typical Hong Kong (mentality), told to study math, science, go to grad school. I've been surrounded by books, mathematics, computers and businesses, which has served me great. I'm blessed with a great family.I wish I had developed more outside interests...I play golf but that's about it. I'd like to learn more about art, learn to cook, just something that is different. Read More....

CareerJournal | Corporate Ladder - How to Get Promoted - Get a Job Promotion">

No comments:




CharlieBrown8989 aka Charlie Tan © 2006 - 2007 • all rights reserved